Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Living wills - High Importance!

Ok so I promised myself that I wouldn't post about the Terri Shiavo (sp?) case for several reasons but there is one issue that I want to mention surrounding this case that I hope everyone seriously considers. That is the issue of living wills or advance directives. Because of where I work and my own personal experience I really feel strongly about this issue so if you will bear with me for a moment I want to hop on my soapbox and talk about this.
How many of you have one or know what they even are?
Do your family members have them? and more importantly do you know where to find them in the event of an emergency?
I know some of you are probably thinking, "What in the world is a living will? Why do I need to will my stuff while I am still living?" Well in simple terms the issue here isn't about your stuff but it's about you! How do you want to be cared for in the event that you can't make your own decisions? Do you really want your family to have to make those decisions and or endure the fight that could ensue?
I mean this very seriously here...this is not just for old folks. In my case I was only 19 when my parents faced the possibility of having to institutionalize me in a "persistant vegitative state". The Lord had other plans for me at the time and woke me up from my coma when I wasn't expected to but in the event that I wouldn't have woken up I would have wanted my wishes to be known. Terri was only 26 when she had her episode so it's never too early to think about these things. If you haven't had this talk with your parents, grandparents or children about your wishes at the end of life, whatever age it might come for you, it's time you do!
Advance directives only apply if you have a life threating illness or condition and two or more doctors can confirm that artificial means will prolong the death process and that you are not able to make decisions about your own health. They are not final and can be changed or reversed by you at anytime if you change your mind about anything your put on the form so it's not like you are signing away your right to life by having a living will. They can also be used to say that you want everything possible done to keep you alive if you choose that route. The link below will take you to a site where you can choose the state you live in and download the forms. If you happen to live in Whatcom County and would like the form that is good around here please let me know because I have easy access to them at my job and I would be happy to get one or more to you.
https://www.legaldocs.com/htmdocs/livin_st.htm
For an advance directive to be valid you have to be "out of comission" so you most likely wouldn't even know what's happening around you. This is not so much for you but for your family to know what you want and not have to feel guilty or frustered when they find themselves in a situation that is already fraught with emotional stress.
Ok so I am hopping off my soapbox now but please promise me that you will at least consider it and make the effort to get one and sign it so that your wishes are known and verified.

2 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, April 07, 2005 , Blogger Kristi said...

wow...that's amazing. I would like to hear more about your story sometime.
I have been meaning to write a living will for about 6 years now, but um, yeah, I havn't. People thought I was weird when I said that I wanted to also :) That might change now though-after all that has happened.

 
At 5:42 PM, April 07, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

I would be happy to tell you sometime if you really want to know. It kind of a strange story but one I dont' mind telling if you really want to hear it. TO make a long story short, it's a miracle that I am even here today and that I am able to do as much as I can. I won't write it out here but if you have time we could meet for lunch or get together sometime and I would be happy to share it with you. Since you want to go into nursing you would probably find it interesting on that level as well because there were lots of medical pieces that I found interesting as I lived them.
And get on that living will! The sooner the better. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home