Monday, June 12, 2006

Musings about people

What makes a person memorable? Why do some people crawl into your heart and never leave? What makes them stay there despite the passing of years? What is it about some people that makes the years slip away when you see them again?
I have been pondering these questions for a long time now but more seriously lately. Almost 8 years ago a good friend from my high school era left the area and sort of removed himself from everyone from this time in his life. I know he ment more to me than I meant to him but for some reason that didn't matter. He was like the brother I never had and when he left some part of me left with him. It was never a romantic friendship in any way but just a connection...oh why are these things so hard to nail down??? Anway over the years I stayed in touch with his family so kept up with sort of where he was in the country and once in a while a snippet of news about how he was would come my way. This person is one of the only people that I have ever dreamed of seeing again. I would dream that he came home, that I got to see him again, that we just got to chat like old times about "stuff", and sometimes I would wake up crying. I would think I saw him sometimes in town but it was only my imagaination. He went through a lot of trying times and it broke my heart that I wasn't able to let him know I never stopped praying for him, couldn't give him a hug and tell him I was there if he needed anything, or just visit him once in a while when he was down. I know I don't mean so much to him, he has his own life, has been through many things I haven't been part of and never will, but for someone reason he is in my heart to stay. I missed him so much. Why? I have no idea. I have other people that have left my life over the years and I think about them but never quite the same. I wonder what makes the difference. It really doesn't make sense but is life always supposed to make sense????
Other than maybe one phone call I haven't seen or spoken with him since he left, until yesterday that is. He came home to visit for a couple of weeks. I was very nervous that he wasn't really going to be there, I wouldn't believe that he was really here until I saw him in person. I was afraid he wouldn't stay at home for the family get together so I was excited to see him but didn't want to get my hopes up. I cried when I heard he was coming home and seeing him was one of the best gifts I have had in long time. Just hearing his voice and knowing that he is still alive, that he hadn't forgotten about his family and friends here completely, that he hadn't written us completely out of his life forever, somehow was reassuring. It was so wonderful to see him again. Some how the years just slipped away and it was easy to forget how many years had passed. If he ever vanishes from my life again I guess I will have to remember the good times, the chance we had to meet up again and I'll just go on praying and missing him until he pops up again.

I still wonder what makes people memorable? Is there anyone out there there I have left the same and is there anyone that would miss me if I disappeared?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home