Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Looking Forward

So Christmas has come and gone (I hope yours was wonderful!), the afternoon of ice skating that was enjoyed by many (thanks to some fast planning and phone calling by Kristi and Ethan) is over and now it's time to look forward.

So what is your favorite New Years tradition or do you have any?
What is your favorite or most infamous New Years memory?
And I am curious do any of you make News Years resolutions?

I only have one tradition and it not something I have gotten to do every year. I understand that it got started with my dad's family. It involves getting up on New Years morning and watching the Rose Parade in Pasadina, CA. Even when we lived in a camper in the woods my parents would rent a hotel for the day so that we could have hot showers and watch the parade. Someday I would love to go and experience it live but till then I'll be up by 8am to tune into the HG TV to watch the floats and the bands! I love the bands and I am fasinated by how they put the floats together so I enjoy the after parade making of special feature.

The most unsual place I have ever welcomed in the new year was the back of a 5ton Army Dump truck with a bunch of strangers, eating cold french fries, down in Marrietta. I think I was 17 or so because it was the first year I was old enough to sandbag and there was a need for it. It was the year we had all those ice flows and Marrietta was flooding. I begged my parents to take me to the National Guard Armory when I heard the call for sand baggers. They finally gave in and we all went. After waiting for several hours we finally got to out on the leves. It was as much fun as I thought it would be! I haven't done it again since then because the last time there was flooding it was in Skagit Co. and they had enough sand baggers but they needed people to work in the shelters so I did that instead...not on New Years though!

New Years Resolutions...can't say I have ever really made any. If I did I don't think I would be very good about keeping them. Maybe someday I'll give it a try!

So now it's your turn! What are you memories and traditions????

3 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, January 05, 2006 , Blogger hopeful said...

I don't have any New Year's traditions or memories. I barely notice New Year's!

And, I don't make New Year's resolutions. I know better! *smile*

 
At 10:47 AM, January 10, 2006 , Blogger Mark said...

hey hey...I got to Western--only stalled about 6 times! Even made it up the hill at the south end of the hannagan (hope you don't see the tiremarks:)

 
At 8:33 PM, January 13, 2006 , Blogger Crystal said...

Just found this comment! Very good Mark! I had faith in your abilities and I see it wasn't miss placed. LOL I didn't notice any tire marks either ao it must not have been too bad on Hannagen. That is a pretty intimidating hill so that's great. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home