Sunday, October 30, 2005

Chariots of Fire - The Rest of the Story

I just finished watching a very interesting and powerful documentary on Eric Liddell about whom the movie Chariots of Fire was made. If you have never seen it I highly recommend it. (for those who haven't seen it, Eric L. was a Scottish runner who refused to run in the 1924 (I think)Olympics because the race he was scheduled to run in was on Sunday. Ultimatly he ran in another race that was usually not his strong point and he won gold.) After the Olympics he actually returned to his birthplace of China as a missionary where his parents were still missionaries and the documentary is about what happened in his life after Chariots of Fire left off. His life was cut short, he was only 43 when he died, but he ran strong for the Lord until the end. I can only hope that I will be remembered in some small way by the people I have known as having possesed even a small amount of the character virtues that he is remembered for. How did he do it? Mainly by forgetting himself and putting his whole heart into his personal touch for others and the Lord. I fall so short so often....

"In the end everyone's life is reduced to two dates with a dash in the middle. What matters most is how we live the dash in the middle."

If anyone want to borrow the DVD let me know. I will be happy to loan it out.

7 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, October 30, 2005 , Blogger hopeful said...

Can you bring it over tomorrow? Just kidding. You have to be careful with offers like that, you know! ;-)

That's an interesting story. I never knew what "Chariots of Fire" was about.

 
At 5:31 PM, November 01, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Tina I could always mail it to you. It's pretty cheap by media mail though that wouldn't be much good if you don't have a DVD player.

 
At 5:31 PM, November 01, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:05 AM, November 03, 2005 , Blogger Mark said...

I read a book a long time ago by an author who lived as a boy in a the same Japanese camp during the war before Liddell died. I'll have to do some more reading.

 
At 9:26 AM, November 03, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Sounds interesting Mark. I wonder if the author is one of the men interviewed on this video? It really is an interesting story.

 
At 7:19 PM, November 03, 2005 , Blogger hopeful said...

We do have a DVD player, but I'm really not much of a documentary watcher. I know, I'm dull. :-)

 
At 10:31 AM, November 04, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

I am usually not much of a documentary watcher either but this one watched much more interesting than most documentaries. Sometimes they can be really dull.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home