Sunday, October 30, 2005

I Love My Job

Ok well so I have more than one job but my newest job at the nursing home continues to grow more wonderful by the shifts (I only work 2-4 a week). I usually laugh a lot with my residents, sometimes I sing with and to them, I hold their hands and listen to their stories when I have a free moment, enjoy putting lotion on their feet and watching them sink into happy land with a foot massage and just generally enjoy myself even if I do have a lot of smelly briefs to change. But tonight something incredible happened and I am still very touched. I had just finished changing this one very nice, elderly christian man one last time before I got shift and I was standing there holding his hand, saying goodnight and about ready to leave when he told me he wanted to pray for me. I wasn't sure I heard right so I asked him again what he said and indeed he wanted to pray for me. Of course I agreed and he prayed a wonderfuul prayer for me that I would be kept strong, not subject to the illnesses going around, that I would hae a good night rest and be prepared for whatever the new day held and that I would be ready to return and be the light in the darkness that I am each time I come to the center. He also prayed for his roommate who is ill and quoted several verses along the way. It was a truely touching prayer and I was very surprised. It maybe a demanding job and I may have to give a lot while I am there but in so many ways the residents give back so much in their own way and this was just the cherry on top for today! What a wonderful way to end the Sabbath!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home