Sunday, July 10, 2005

Time Flies

I just took a look at my blog and realized that it has been over three weeks since I posted anything personal here. I am sorry to have let it slide for so long, in case any of you actually read this! Do I have a good excuse for neglecting all of you my dear friends??? No I really don't except that I haven't had much interesting to say!

It sort of started three weeks ago when I was on jury duty and served as a juror on a rape/ kidnaping trial. During that week I was pretty busy trying to fit in work, time with Nicki and time at the court and I couldn't talk about the trial so there wasn't anything interesting to report that week. Then when it came time to deliberate and come to a decision I found the experience very distressing and yet incredible and for once I just wasn't able to share it in words here. It was a very convoluted story of three homeless alcoholics who's stories did not match each other or the police stories except that there had been lots of beer and some sex. I didn't find the trial subject matter difficult because sex is about the last thing that embarsses me or makes me cringe but it was the more mental struggle of deliberation that distressed me greatly. Thankfully we were all allowed to take notes during the trial and during deliberation I had to work through my notes combined with the photos that we were given of the people and the camp where the incident took place before I was ready to come to a conclusion. It was facinating to me how differently all of us approached the deliberation and also how differently people applied the principle of "innocent until proven guilty". In the end I was in the position to either join my fellow jurors and convict or hang the jury and yet I still wasn't quite convinced that the defendant was guilty of everything that he was charged with but I couldn't do anything about that. I did a lot of praying and struggled a bit before I came to peace with my job as a juror which was to only judge on the evidence presented and on the letter of the law. From the letter of the law he was guilty and in the end it was unanimous. I came away from the experience with a very powerful and personal feel for how wonderous the mercy and grace of God is because if we were all to be judged by the letter of the law we would all be gulity and sentenced to death. Thank heaven for repentance and forgiveness.

The next week I was not chosen for any trials but I had to get caught up at work. Then last week I started the Nursing Assistant course which has been sort of boring because of the teaching method but this week it will get better because we start getting to practice and then after that we will be working in a nursing home for the next two weeks so the worst is over. I will be interested to see how I actually like the work. I think I will but time will tell. I must it admit it sort of amuses me to see some of the young girls turn all red when we talk about having to give bed baths and perineal (genital) care. I hope it doesn't upset them too much when they actually have to do it in person because I think some of them will be really good NA if they can get past that. I have sort of a weak stomach when it comes to vomit and gagging so I know that is going to be my personal challenge. Not sure how I am going to deal with that yet but I am sure I will find out sooner rather than later. Sorry if that grosses you out...just one of those facts of life!

Other than the big stuff I haven't been getting to skate much in the last few weeks but I have been getting to spend some time with friends, have been making it to my voice lessons, I have given two speeches at Toast Masters which have gone well and my gramma and grampa from Arizona were here for a couple of days. I have also been getting some reading done and I finally got my room organized enough that I can live with it for a while. Putting up some more shelves for more books helped much in that direction!

I have also been watching the videos by Bruce Wilkinson about the Prayer of Jabez and The Dream Giver. Both of those series have been a wonderful blessing to me and I hope someday to find a small group that is interested in studying them together because I would love to watch them and study them with a small group...there are so many things I would love to discuss with others that he brings out in both series. Have any of you ever seen them?? If not I really commend them.

I guess that just about does it for anything substantial that I have to say.....

So do any of you have any exciting plans for doing anything fun during the rest of the summer?????

I will be going to S. Dakota in Aug. for campmeeting and there are a few of us who are talking about renting a van and driving, stopping in Yellow Stone but we'll see how that plan actually progresses. Other than that I am just planning on hiking and hoping to make it to the fair and maybe a few other community events around here. How about you?????

9 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, July 11, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Crystal!
(Karin here)I'm sure you'll make a very good CNA. And don't worry, after a while you'll become so immune to all the vomit and well...we won't mention all the other things=). You should come work at the hospital once you get certified. It's a lot easier on your back than working at a nursing home. Enjoy your class (at least as much as you can, they are rather tiring)!

 
At 8:41 PM, July 11, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Hi Karin!

Thanks for the words of encouragment. I am guessing that you work at the hospital as well as Kristi? Did you work at a nursing home before that? I haven't actually decided how i am going to put my certification to use once I get but who knows I could end up at the hospital someday. Will sort of depend on how the Lord leads once I pass the test. Today class was definetly more fun and we got to practice on one another so the time flew by. Thanks again for stoping by to comment. :-)

 
At 10:05 PM, July 12, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, before going to the hospital I worked at Christian Health Care in Lynden. I am now a float (they send me anywhere and everywhere depending on where they need me)And I work the night shift. Kristi works day shift however, she pick tonight up. It's so much fun working with her. She's the model CNA!

 
At 3:41 AM, July 13, 2005 , Blogger Kristi said...

Aw Karin you sweetie! Hmph, I think you're pretty terrific too :) I've never heard a single nurse or CNA say a bad thing about you--only good stuff, so there!

 
At 7:32 PM, July 13, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

I am sure that you are both wonderful CNAs. I simply can't imagine anything else from Kristi and I am guessing it runs in the family so Karin you are probably right behind her! Thank you both for your support.

 
At 5:20 AM, July 14, 2005 , Blogger DaFwogg (OmaReina) said...

Hey there Crystal,
I see you were really busy recently..
Good to hear from you again..
Wow, jury duty in a rape/kdnapping case.. How was that? Like how did it feel?
Anyway, just taught of passing by and saying hello.. Hello :)
Cheers..
Keep in Touch..

 
At 8:34 AM, July 15, 2005 , Blogger Joshua said...

Hi Crystal!
I just read The Dream Giver on Sunday, I like the concept presented in it.
Skating? Do you do figure skate? Roller-skate? Either way, that is pretty neat.
Nice meeting you this morning...in person :)
Oh, and by the way, your blog doesn't work very well when I used Firefox for my browser...the background of the text didn't tile down...maybe I'll send you a screenshot of it sometime.
Have a great day!
~Joshua

 
At 4:16 PM, July 15, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Hi Joshua!
It was great meeting you in person this morning. I hope you to see you again sometime and seriously coyboy hats are not THAT bad! The do serve a good purpose where there is more sun. I will hope to revisit this issue again after you have been in TX for a year. Then we''ll see how you feel about them!

That is stange about my blog not showing up right. No one else has mentioned that to me but then again I have never even heard of Firefox so that might have something to do with it!

I figure skate but I have only been skating for about a year so I have much to learn still. I used to go roller skating with the homeschool groups but that's been years ago. I have actually been thinking of trying it again just for fun to see how it goes now that I am better on ice skates...just curious if I would be any better at it. Do you ever go roller skating or ice skating?

 
At 9:33 AM, July 18, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Joshua,
I haven't read the Dream Giver book yet, just watched the video's. I will have to get the book one of these days!

Fwogg,
The trial was facinating. It felt strange to have people talking about other people and making judgements and assumptions about them while they sat there and couldn't say anything. I hope I never have to go through something like that. I couldn't help but wonder that the defendant was thinking and how he was feeling with the next 10-15 years of his life partially in our hands. Very strange sense of power and yet not a comfortable sense. The actual evidence was not difficult to deal with but as I shared in my post the real struggle for me came at the deliberation time. I didn't completely believe the woman so it wasn't like I was ready to get this guy for being some big/bad predator. It was a very powerful expereince and one I am glad I had the opportunity to experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home