Monday, August 01, 2005

God's Timing

I had an incredible experience in God's timing yesterday that I had to share.
Yesterday, after helping a friend/coworker pack and prepare her condo for sale I planned on attending a wedding shower at 5pm. After I finished with my friend I went to the Christian bookstore to purchase a gift for the shower. While there I saw a little woman's book I decided to buy. As I stood there looking at the books I was greatly impressed to buy two of them. I stood there arguing with this impression..."why do I need two? I am trying to save money not spend it on books I don't even have a purpose for." etc. I finally bought two books not knowing why. By this time I was late for the shower and to make matters worse I went to the wrong park so by the time I got to the right park I was 1/2hr. late. I got to the park only to discover that there was no wedding shower. I walked around for about 1/2hr. and finally left about 5:55 thinking, "Humm, I wonder what happened, have I been stood up for a wedding shower?" I went by my friend's old house but there is no one there.
As I was driving around I was listening to a book on tape. The author was challenging woman to to ask the Lord to give them opportunities to minister to others, to never pass up an opportunity no matter how small and to always be ready because you never know when someone might be placed in your path. I was praying and meditating on this and was asking God for insight because I am fearful that I will pass by opportunities and not take the chance to minister because of my own inability to discern God's providence.
Rather than go right home I decided to stop by Starbucks and spend a little time in a new book. I met another friend there and as we sat there chatting one of the employees recognized me though I haven't seen her in many years. I had met her family over 7 yrs. ago but hadn't seen them in at least 3-4yrs and I don't think I would have recognized her. When her shift was over she came back to get my phone number and talk for a few min. As she was talking she began telling me about a personal situation she was going through and the struggle she was facing. As she talked I began praying because I realized that this was a very serious time for her life and that she was really at a crossroads in her walk with God. I sat there praying silently and talking with her and very powerfully it came to me, "This is who you bought the book for, go and get it and give it to her." I was a little scared to be honest and I wondered what she might think since we had just met her again but the direction was very definet, "Give her the book and stop worrying about what she might think." I ran out to my truck and got her the book. She was surprised but didn't refuse it though she did question why I would want her to have it. I told her God wanted her to have it and that I would be praying for her. We parted with a hug and I came home.
When I got home there was a message on our answering machine saying that the wedding shower had been postponed until 6 because of traffic problems. They were all showing up as I was leaving! While I am sure I would have enjoyed the shower I now know why that I wasn't supposed to be there. I hope I will have the chance to meet up with this girl again soon and if any of you are willing to pray of a very wonderful but struggling young woman I would really appreciate it. I am grateful I had the opportunity to meet her again and experience God's incredible timing for myself once again.

2 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, August 06, 2005 , Blogger Rachel said...

Hey! That's a great story about God's providence! I often wonder about the oportunities I've been given as well. It's encouraging to know that others feel the same!

 
At 9:38 AM, August 07, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Thanks Rachel! Looking forward to see you soon. have a safe trip and a wonderful time at the youth camp. I will be seeing you in two short weeks. Yikes time sure does fly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home