Tuesday, April 19, 2005

What is Life?

I read this quote by George Bernard Shaw in a book I just finished called, "Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway" and I just had to share.
"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one, the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making me happy.
I am of the opinion that my life belongs the whole community as, as long as I live, it is my privilage to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.
I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splended torch which I've got to hold up for a moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."
I realize that in this brief life we are not the mighty ones, God is when we allow Him to work through us. That said, we have to make the most of the opportunities that He gives us. There are so many people that feel the world owes them something and they get very out of sorts when they don't get what they want on a silver platter. I work with them all the time and I can't believe how miserable they really are. They might be getting all kinds of state services and "free money" but I wouldn't change places with them for a second. They have no real quality of life.
Sometimes in being a part of the "community" it is hard for me to prioritize but it becomes easier when I remember where the fuel for the torch really comes from. A life of service, cheerfully done, is a life well lived. I love life and all the possibilities that it holds. The next time I get really excited about a new opportunity, an idea or adventure, please bear with me. I am just trying out my torch in a new venue! Comments???

5 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, April 19, 2005 , Blogger Justin C. said...

Hi, Crystal. Saw that you commented on my blog. I commented back. Thanks,
-CT

 
At 12:20 AM, April 22, 2005 , Blogger Kristi said...

I agree that living "to see what you can get out of life," is not living at all, and it only sets you up for disappointment. Living for God, and serving others out of love for Him, is, by far, superior living.
How often I fall short of this "superior" and joy-filled living though! But God extends His grace and forgiveness still....
Thanks for this post Crystal! Good reminder!

 
At 12:28 PM, April 22, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

You are welcome Kristi! It was just as much a reminder for me as anyone because there are times when I feel like all I do is give, give, give and never get anything back. Then I remember how often Christ could say that about me and things quickly come right back into focus!

 
At 10:07 PM, April 29, 2005 , Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Crystal! I like all your little stories! They ARE an inspirationa, and great ones at that!
Keep on keepin' on!

 
At 5:49 PM, April 30, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Thanks Rachel. I will probably keep putting these things up wheh one strikes me. Hope you check back and post when you can.
Miss you lots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home