Sunday, May 01, 2005

The passing of an era...

On Friday I was laying in bed reading and I looked over beside me and saw a sight that made me pause and catch my breath for a moment. What did I see you ask? A spider, a mouse or even worse? No it was a gaping hole in the neck of my beloved teddy bear. A teddy bear?? I can hear you now, "Aren't you a little too old for such things?" Let explain. I was given this bear when I was five and for the last 21 years she has been with me for better or worse. Some of my east coast friends may remember the pathetic little fits I would throw when I was little and we would come to their house and she would be at the bottom of the barrel of our things and my parents would not go dig her out at bedtime. They were so sweet and would offer me their favorite animal, anything to shut me up but nothing was as good as she. Of course my need of actually having her with me each night has diminished over time but old habits die hard and I still liked to have her on my bed just for the sake of having something familiar with me. I will miss her flat little face and lopsided smile laying on my bed. I won't be getting rid of her completely, just putting her into retirement!

~~~~~~
Teddyesa, homely little brown bear of mine,
through all the years you have held up just fine.

You bore patiently with all I gave you,
still let me hug you no matter what I put you through.

You came to me through no fault of your own,
how thankful I am that you were not on loan.

When I was young no other bear could take your place,
you alone could dry the tears running down my face.

As I grew older I didn't need your presence every night
but when you were near things still seemed somehow right.

You have been 'round America more times than I can count,
and didn't Europe just make you want to shout?

I am sure you didn't like the hospital
but, unlike me, you stayed quiet through it all.

You were with me when my family broke apart,
listening while I shared my broken heart.

The time has come to let you have your rest,
but to me you will always be the beary best!
~~~~~~~~

Sorry to put you all through that but I hope enough of you have had some beloved thing in your life so that you don't think I am completely crazy! LOL (Not that crazy probably wouldn't be close to the truth but...!)

2 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, May 07, 2005 , Blogger Rebekah said...

Crystal--that is very sweet, and no you aren't crazy. When I was little, I used to pretend that I was attached to things--just to get a kick out of it I guess. I had this infantile idea in my head that a little girl should have something that was indispensable. I think the only thing I was firmly attached to was mommy. I had so many toys that I gave up trying to be loyal to only one. Pathetic huh? But now I know that when it means enough to you you can write poetry. I'm glad! Its a lovely thing to do.

 
At 10:15 PM, May 07, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

I don't know that I would call my poety lovely but writing it is kind of fun. I have never written it before at all didn't even like it till now...funny how things change. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home