Sunday, May 20, 2007

Time away

I just had to share that I had a great weekend. I didn't do anything too special and I guess maybe that's the point. I was house sitting for someone with three dogs (which makes me love my cats all the more but that's another story) and she had a nice big bath tub, a recliner and lots of dog hair everywhere. Oh wait I wasn't going to talk about the dogs! So anyway I guess it was kind of like my own mini vacation. I went to a church I don't normally attend, met some great people, took a couple of long hot baths, painted my nails, which for some reason did wonders for my outlook (if that's isn't the dumbest thing I have said in a while I don't know what is but alas I somehow felt better with shiny light mauve nails, must be a girl thing!) talked on the phone to a dear friend for a while and read, and read and read. I can't remember when I took the time to for so many hours anything that wasn't a text book and it felt wonderful. On Friday after Toastmasters in the morning before I came home to be with Anita I had a little time to kill and I ended up going garage saling! I can't remember the last time I went to a garage sale, let along 7 of them in one morning. I had so much fun and found some awesome treasures, things that I had been looking for and things that I didn't even know I needed until I saw them! Of course I couldn't leave without getting a few books and I those were what I read during the course of the rest of the weekend. One of the books I read was about Elizabeth Blackwell who was the first woman to go to Medical school back in the early to mid 1800's. That was a book I needed to read and it did wonders for my resolve and frustration level! I also watched a few interesting TV programs about cars and possible future designs, primordial dwarfs and people with giantism, sort of a weekend of extreems. Since I don't have TV I forgot how fast time goes when you are watching one program after another. I usually just watch a movie or two here and there but it's very different when you are watching continuous programing. Made the truth of a comment I heard recently seem very true. "What does TV stand for? It stands for Thought Vacume!" I found the commericals annoying but the shows were pretty interesting.
So anyway now its back home again and while I am still not working, probably won't be for a while yet, I at least feel a little more like it's all going to be ok and a few months in the course of a lifetime isn't really that long. I know I should be happy for the time without the demands of work and I really need to work on using my time a little more effectivly. Guess now that I have had my few days of vacation without having to plan around anyone else's schedule, without having to take responsibility for anyone but myself, etc. I can jump back in and make that my goal for this week: to use my time more effectively, to get more homework done and to help Nicki get more organized. All things I didn't seem to have as much time for as I wanted when I was working. I shall look at this most recent turn of events that is forcing me to be home as a blessing not an inconvenience, yes I will work on that!

Hope you all have or are having a great week!

PS: For those of you who don't know, Anita is Nicki's mom who was in a motorcyle crash a couple of weekends ago in which she broke her shoulder badly and so now instead of job hunting I am needed at home to help her and to be available to take her to appointments and Nicki to things that Anita would normally have taken her too, etc. I wasn't even not working at the nursing home for a week when this happened so everything has been kind of upside down around here for the last few weeks.

2 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, May 23, 2007 , Blogger Balvanz said...

That sounded like a lovely get-away, Crystal! I completely understand what you said about doing your nails...and hot baths? Sounds like a dream! Garage saling is always exciting too. =)

 
At 7:16 AM, June 12, 2007 , Blogger Kristi said...

Lovely! I can totally understand the nail thing. I would even recommend regular doses of such girly things. I think we were created to feel better by doing such things :)

So are things back to normal yet? Any plans for summer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home