Sunday, October 09, 2005

Mushroom Hunting

Yesterday mom and I and some friends went on what is becoming our traditional one afternoon Chantrelle hunt up the mountain behind their house. I suppose if you don't like mushrooms it might not be too much fun but I really enjoy this little outing every year. It's like a treasure hunt. We go into the woods behind their house, head over to a creek and then start climbing straight up through the woods till we get to the area where the mushrooms usually grow. From there we fan out and it's always fun to see who finds the first one hiding under leaves or next to a fallen log or under moss. This year I found the least but I also found a Cauliflower Mushroom which is good eating too so that sort of made up for it! I tried to take a photo of a few of them before I picked them but the camera batteries were dying and they were hollering at me to hurry up because they were ready to head down so unfortunately I didn't get one to post. It's fun though and I suggest if you ever get the chance to go. I find something wonderful in wandering through the woods, smelling the damp woods smells, looking for hidden morsels, singing hymns to myself as I slowly meander around searching, searching for spots of orange in the dark forest floor. (The singing part is optional!)

5 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, October 10, 2005 , Blogger hopeful said...

Sounds wonderful! But then I DO like mushrooms. ;-)

 
At 11:51 AM, October 11, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Crystal, but I don't like mushrooms. Maybe searching for them in the woods would be fun, but not eating them!

 
At 12:15 PM, October 14, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Anon...I don't know who you are but you are surely missing out if you don't like mushrooms! But it's ok, everyone has their little quirks. LOL

 
At 7:37 AM, October 30, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

NERTZ Crystal! I haven't been mushroom hunting in the past couple of years. Mommy and I used to go every fall:( Glad you found some. Maybe I'll find time to go out in the next week;))

 
At 9:52 AM, October 30, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Aunti Lo! How wonderful to have you stop by and comment! I remember going mushroom hunting for the first time with you up towards Silver Lake somewhere many years ago...I think we might have gone out two years and it was so much fun. I hope you make it out sometime soon.
Hope you had a nice time at hunting camp and I will have to e-mail you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home