Friday, October 14, 2005

How do you spend your time?

The average day in 2004
On an "average day" in the U.S. in 2004, persons age 15 and older slept about 8.6 hours, spent 5.2 hours doing leisure and sports activities, worked for 3.7 hours, and spent 1.8 hours doing household activities.
The remaining 4.7 hours were spent in a variety of other activities, including eating and drinking, attending school, and shopping.

The American Time Use Survey collects data about daily activities from all segments of the population age 15 and over, including persons who are employed, unemployed, or not in the labor force (such as students or retirees). Data are collected for both weekdays and weekends. Thus, "average day" measures developed for the entire population reflect the average distribution of time across all persons and days.
On an average weekday, in comparison, persons employed full time spent 9.2 hours working, 7.5 hours sleeping, 3.0 hours doing leisure and sports activities, and 0.9 hour doing household activities. The remaining 3.4 hours were spent in other activities, such as those described above.

The American Time Use Survey is the source of these data on time use. You can find out more about how various segments of population spent their time in American Time Use Survey - 2004 , news release USDL 05-1766. These data are for persons 15 years old and over.

5 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, October 14, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:12 PM, October 17, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if that is just an American thing, because I think I spend way more time sleeping:-) At least I would like to. Hope you are doing great - it sure sounds like you are busy, but then that's really not new...

 
At 5:09 PM, October 17, 2005 , Blogger hopeful said...

I'm afraid I spend more than 0.9 hours doing household activities in an average weekday!

 
At 11:50 AM, October 23, 2005 , Blogger Crystal said...

Maj, thanks for stopping by and commenting! I wonder sometimes if it isn't an American thing because we seem to be running faster and faster all the time. It's a real struggle to not get completely caught up in the rat race. I haven't heard from you or written in forever...need to do something about that. I will try and write you very soon.

Tina, I have to say that on any given day I don't think I do much more than .9 hrs doing housework, if even that much so your house must be much cleaner than mine. I am just hardly ever home so I clean up breakfast dishes and then am out the door and then get home late, and go to bed...not much time for housework!

 
At 3:39 PM, October 23, 2005 , Blogger hopeful said...

I don't know whether our house is cleaner our not. It isn't as clean as it needs to be! But I prepare 1-2 meals every day except Monday. And I wash the dishes about half the time. I also do the laundry, so that's a lot more on Thursday and Friday. Plus the rest of the housework that I am responsible for (some of which I don't actually do but need to do!)or otherwise engage in. I'm sure if you were home more you would do more housework. Having a job does tend to take up a lot of one's time! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home