Friday, October 20, 2006

How Quickly Things Change

8:45 this morning found me quietly minding my own bussines at home when the phone rang. "Hello"
"Hi is this Crystal?"
"Yes"
"Hi this is Louise from work, CHCC and I was wondering if you were still interested in working for us a unit secretary becuause we are really desperate."
"Yes I am still interested but I thought you hired someone this week already so I already applied for another job within the facility. But on the other hand it will be a while till I know anything about that so in the mean time I would be interested in helping you out."
"Great! How many hours can you give us and when can you come in and meet with a few people?"
"Probably about 30hrs/week. I can come in about around 10 this morning if that works for you."
"Wonderful we will see you then and thanks so much. Bye."
At 10 I went and met with the computer guy and I found out that he was testing my skill level and general knowledge because the lady that they had hired earlier didn't work out for some reason. This was a job that they had told me about a while ago when I had applied for something else. Upon looking at my resume they thought I would be good for it but at the time they wanted full time and I wasn't able to give them that so that's about as far as it went. After meeting with the computer guy and showing him that I was pretty familier with the concepts that he was concerned about I didn't know what the next steps were and neither did anyone else really it seemed. The other girl doing this job wasn't sure if she was supossed to start training me or what and I certainly had no idea. Louise was busy so instead of just sitting around waiting for her I just jumped in and started doing things until she was free to meet with me in the early afternoon and we went from there.
So in the space of one phone call and about an hr. I was pulled of the floor, away from working nights and weekend and given a 32hr./wk postion that is day times and maybe a few Sundays but not at the moment and a raise for as long as I am filling this position! I have applied for another day position as a social worker which would be about the same but until I know more about that, if I even get an interview, I will be learning lots of new stuff, helping get things back on track with the current unit secretary and finally getting some normal sleep habits back! I ended up staying and working the rest of today and just did a few simple projects that needed doing but that were time consuming and learned more about one of 4 data systems that they use. Who knows I might even like this so much I don't want the social worker job even if they offer it to me. I don't know, time will tell but in the mean time I am still in shock, it all happened so fast, and yet so very excited. I was really not feeling challenged much any more as an NAC and with my already set schedule with Nicki and school, the hours that I could work were really tough and I wasn't able to get enough of them to really pay my bills. So with one little phone call, problem solved!! Still amazes me how prayers are answered in the most unusual way because I would never have thought about the person they hired not working out and them calling me in a panic. Wasn't even a scenario that I ever considered. I think I will miss working on the floor a little but i am sure if I ever want to help out here and there I can and besides it's not like I am leaving the people, I am still working for them just in a different way. So for the time being I am CHCCs newest Medical Records Clerk/Unit Secretary. :-)
So Kristi its not at the hospital but someone else agreed with your assessment and thought I would be good at this job too! Great minds think alike! So now I just have to prove you all right. LOL

11 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, October 21, 2006 , Blogger Kristi said...

I'm so happy for you friend!! Now we can get together more often!! I'll pray that the transition goes smooth.
And I get to go to day shift on the 3rd of December--normal hours for both of us!! How can this be?!

 
At 8:08 PM, October 22, 2006 , Blogger Ruth said...

Crystal, something has happened to your blog! Can't read a thing; what's this big change?

 
At 10:35 PM, October 22, 2006 , Blogger Crystal said...

I don't know Ruth...I can pull it up fine...I will have to wait and see if anyone else has this problem and then I'll have to do some trouble shooting at that point. I am sorry it didn't come up for you.

 
At 10:49 PM, October 22, 2006 , Blogger Crystal said...

OH but I guess I didn't answer your question. On friday morning I got a frantic call from a supervisor at work and within the space of less than two hours my job completely changed. I am no longer working evenings and doing personal care but am now working as a temporary Unit secretary pending the outcome of another job that I had applied for as a social worker a few days prior to being given this position. I am really looking forward to working days without so much evening and weekend work. I will be doing a lot more computer work which I enjoy too and I am looking forward to being in the know a lot more about what is going one, who is coming and going, etc. for at least a little while until several things that are pending are settled and the longer term plan becomes clear.
Sorry it was nothing exciting like I am getting married or something but it's a big change for me just the same! LOL

 
At 10:51 PM, October 22, 2006 , Blogger Crystal said...

Oh Kristi, I think we shall have loads of fun. I have already thought of a few ways we can get into trouble but since your adventures tend to have more drama in them then mine we must get together and compare notes some day soon! So exciting that you will be working staight days too. By the way how is your second job going?

 
At 4:25 PM, October 23, 2006 , Blogger hopeful said...

That's great, Crystal! I do hope you like it.

 
At 11:43 PM, October 23, 2006 , Blogger Kristi said...

I'm kind of dying right now. But it's going good :) Oh it's good for me! (and good things always have a little discomfort with them you know).

 
At 5:59 PM, October 24, 2006 , Blogger Balvanz said...

Sounds like an interesting job! I hope you enjoy it! Keep us posted!

 
At 8:00 PM, October 24, 2006 , Blogger Ruth said...

Hey Crystal! I've discovered part of the problem anyways: Firefox. It sets white writing on a white background for an altogether dizzying effect :) But here on Explorer things are loud and clear. So I could finally read your story :) So happy for you! Sounds like an awesome switch; time-wise anyways (I personally would rather work with people than computers :) I really hope and pray that this works out for you... permanently even. Blessings!

 
At 12:29 AM, October 25, 2006 , Blogger Mark said...

Hey hey...I love those kind of stories. I hope I have one for you sometime soon.

 
At 5:43 PM, October 25, 2006 , Blogger Crystal said...

I hope to do Mark, something along these lines with a happy internship ending right??? LOL

Ruth, I am so glad you figured out the issue. I haven't ever used Firefox that never occured to me as a solution to mention to you. I'll keep in mind incase anyone else ever encounters the same problem. Yes it is nice to have some normal hours but I do miss being on the floor as we call it. I still take time to visit with my favorites when they need something, answer a few call lights, take people to the bathroom, etc. I don't think I could ever completely get away from the residents and be really happy. I enjoy the computer and I am good at it but I need people! So that's why the social work job would probably be a little more along the lines of what I am most happy with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home