Friday, February 16, 2007

I love chemistry!

Ok so I haven't decided if I love chemistry or if I just love my classmates and my teacher but really what difference does it make??? It is really quite a difficult subject for me to grasp and it's only just now starting to happen but my is it fun! I find myself constantly thinking about chemistry and asking questions like, "Oh i wonder the equation for that is?" Or "I wonder what that would look like under a microscope?" "Why does this happen when these two things are mixed together and what would the moleculer structure be if this was boiled and then cooled?" or even more exciting "I wonder what those to things would do if I mixed them together? Would they explode?" I just heard about a reaction with clorox and brake fluid that creates lots of noxious smoke and can explode supposedly and I REALLY want to try it but I will probably chicken out for fear of damaging myself! I think my teacher will let me use a bunch of different chemicals to grow different crystals which we can then look at under a microscope. She said we could and I hope she really means it because I found some crystal recipies out on the internet that I want to try out. This last week in lab we "grew" these awesome crystals from KNO3 (Potassium salts) and I would have loved to look at them closer but unfortunatly they only grew when the solution was cold and were too fragile to remove from the solution so I had to settle for inspecting them with a little magnifying glass. Oh my I fear I am becoming even more of a science geek than I ever imagained I could be. I find myself drawn to the internet looking of formulas or info about reactions I have heard about or just googling chemistry and seeing what I find. For fun check out these videos of Mentos in Diet Coke. This experiement we did do in class I had the privilage of getting to drop the mentos in the bottles! Great fun. Ours wasn't nearly so elaborate but it was sure fun anyway. Or try your smarts at some of these little chem quizzes.
I have the most incredible teacher, someone I hope to know for a very long time, and my classmates are fabulous. I wouldn't trade my lab partner or any of my classmates who work near us for anything. I am just really starting to get to know them and we sure do cover the ground when it comes to topics and they hardly include chemistry! We have a lot of fun and share a lot of laughs in what could be a very dry and boring place, "The lab". I look forward to class each week and I will so miss these people when I no longer see them twice a week.
Ok enough sentamental rambling...did I mention I love my chem class???

10 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, February 16, 2007 , Blogger Balvanz said...

Wow, Crystal...good for you! I never liked science.

 
At 11:10 PM, February 17, 2007 , Blogger Crystal said...

You know I never really cared for it much either. This is why I went through already quite a few years of college and only took a couple required science classes. I feared science and can't say I ever really got it until recently. I think it makes a difference that I am a little older now and I have a purpose for learning it, its not just something I have to do. I want to learn it and that is half the battle right off with any course. Don't get me wrong this is not an easy class, the math is sort of killing me, and if I didn't have a teacher that understood my previous issues with math from my head injury and so allows me extra time on tests I wouldn't love it nearly so much because I would probably be failing the tests because I am so slow at figuring. In class I am always a few steps behind and I have to take the info home and study it a bit, read it a few times and come at it from a few different angles before I often understand what the equations are really saying. Then to try and understand what is being asked by homework and worksheet is yet another issue. Then on tests I have to write out every equation, all the pieces that I know with all their units and then try and figure from there...it can be a very long and laborious process that takes me twice as long as my classmates. But time aside, the point is that now I am starting to get it and that is exciting. The more I learn the more I truely see that I don't know...keeps one very humble but also makes things exciting because as we go along I am also finding things that I can relate to the Bio class I took last spring and to things I read in the news or see on TV. So many more things make sense now and even if I don't get A's on all my tests understanding the world around me more is something to be very excited about.

 
At 11:11 PM, February 17, 2007 , Blogger Crystal said...

Yikes sorry about that long response Abbie. A little long winded tonight!

 
At 7:13 PM, February 24, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure chemistry would be fun...if I understood it! I completely get lost. I can tell you all about the law though...

btw, what happened to my blog? And Kristi's blog?

 
At 7:40 PM, February 24, 2007 , Blogger Crystal said...

Kimi,
I can sympathize with you getting lost in Chem. I often sit through class and go, "humm...I wonder what she was talking about?" I have to go home and think about it and and study before I get it.

The law is fun too I agree but except in high school I haven't had the opportunity to take any more classes in it. So enjoy your classes and do well for me and all the rest of the poor people that don't get the chance to be enlightend like you are!

About the blogs...I don't know what is wrong with them. I can't access them at all. The link on my site haven't been corupted and I couldn't even get to them from anyone elses links either. Something must have happened on your (the administrative end) of things. I had mine disappear once and Mark showed me how to fix it. Right now I am having trouble commenting on several people's blogs but yours are the only ones that are completely gone. Let me know if I can be of any help in getting them back up and running.

I miss you!

 
At 6:43 PM, February 27, 2007 , Blogger Emmy said...

ok, so I have a question...

what happens if you are eating mentos and drink down some diet coke?

 
At 7:59 PM, March 02, 2007 , Blogger Crystal said...

Good question Emily. I don't know from personal experience the answer but I have seen and heard that it isn't a good idea and tends to cause some upset but I haven't tried it so I actually don't know for sure. if you try it be sure and let me know!

 
At 1:54 PM, March 07, 2007 , Blogger Ruth said...

Wow, this is truly unique; I have never seen anyone get this excited about chemistry! :) Just goes to show that anything can be enjoyable with the right attitude. And hey, I learned to like broccoli :)

 
At 3:39 PM, March 07, 2007 , Blogger Crystal said...

Congratulations Ruth! Broccoli is a wonderful vegetable. All that fiber, and antixodents, you body thanks you! I applaud you for continuing to try to like it! Now if you would only share your secret so I could work on Okra and Kolrabie!

 
At 8:49 AM, March 08, 2007 , Blogger Ruth said...

Hehe, Okra; now that brings back memories. Mother once decided she was going make a stir-fry with okra. She brought the long skinny veggies home and served them. As it turned out, they were jalepeno-quality hot peppers! We had to toss the whole thing...
The secret to liking something is comparing it with another, less desirable option. So there you have it! Cook up a massive serving of hot peppers first :)
BTW, to this day I haven't tried okra :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home